The College of Dentistry currently offers the following undergraduate dental program which is accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research: Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) - 5-year program
This is a five-year undergraduate program leading to the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS). The study program and curriculum is at par with that of renowned international universities and dental institutes.
The DDS program aims to:
1. educate and train a new generation of competent dental surgeons, who will be able to provide high quality comprehensive oral healthcare with an emphasis on prevention
2. emphasize the prevention and early detection of oral and dental diseases as an integral part of the curriculum
3. provide educational experiences for students using a comprehensive patient care model
4. provide community dentistry services that meet world-class standards
5. establish national recognition in term of academia by the concerned authorities and the public
The DDS program at AU-College of Dentistry is only delivered as a full-time program.
The College of dentistry offers access to e-learning (MOODLE) as a supplementary tool to its traditional face-to-face pedagogy. The effectiveness of the program is evaluated against the program learning outcomes which have been aligned with the UAE Qualifications Framework (UAEQF) and are consistent with the defined level of the degree.
On successful completion of the Doctor of Dental Surgery program, graduates will be able to:
1. Express coherent knowledge, capabilities, and limitations of specialization areas in dentistry.
2. Describe the importance of prevention, treatment, and management of oral and dental diseases.
3. Use the factual and theoretical knowledge in basic medical and dental sciences and allied sciences to gather information from the patient as part of history taking and patient examination in order to decide appropriate investigation and decide a suitable course of treatment within the scope of a general dental practice.
4. Identify the integration and importance of the basic medical and allied sciences such as psychology and behavioral sciences to dentistry.
5. Demonstrate a broad knowledge of the fundamental concepts, theories and principles in research projects and protocols complying with ethical principles.
1. Demonstrate effective technical and analytical skills using evidentiary and procedural-based processes to perform appropriate dental procedures independently and safely in a general dental practice setting.
2. Practice promotion of oral health and prevention of related disorders.
3. Demonstrate highly developed communication skills to explain or critique complex and unpredictable matters related to oral health and disease.
4. Demonstrate accurate record keeping and how to source and analyze information relevant to effective clinical practice.
5. Practice ethical, professional and legal responsibilities and display appropriate attitudes and behavior.
6. Evaluate, select and apply appropriate methods of clinical research in relation to oral health and disease.
Autonomy and Responsibility
1. Show responsibility and independent technical and clinical decision-making to evaluate and manage complex and unpredictable clinical work appropriate to a primary care practice.
2. Illustrate adherence to current best practice methods in a mature manner.
Role in Context
3. Recognize the importance of appropriate leadership roles, manage and take accountability of the team involved in patient care.
4. Demonstrate responsibility and supervise the professional activity and mentoring of allied dental health personnel.
5. Engage in self-evaluation and professional development apt for general dental practice or towards specific specialization.
6. Value professional ethics, positive criticism and feedback, and engage in a life-long learning.
Admission is based on the following requirements:
1. A UAE secondary school certificate, science section, or its equivalent, with a grade of not less than B (80 percent). Priority is given to students with higher grades in the following subjects: Biology Physics Chemistry
2. English proficiency test (TOEFL score of 500 or above, or the equivalent)
3. Personal interview
4. Health Fitness Certificate
Graduates of the College will have a wide range of career opportunities to choose from, in addition to continuing higher education (Masters and PhD degrees) in one of the following specialities:
- Operative Dentistry
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral Radiology and Oral Medicine
- Dental Public Health
- Aesthetic Dentistry
- Oral Pathology
Graduates may wish to take advanced courses in Oral Surgery, Implantology and other clinical specialities, or they may choose to work in research facilities. Those who prefer to practice in UAE will be able to do so provided that they pass the UAE Licensing Exams. Graduates are subject to the regulations of the UAE licensing authorities with regard to the type of examination and certification criteria.
Students will be awarded the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree upon fulfillment of the following requirements:
1. Completing successfully the required credit hours (199 Credit Hours), including the University requirement courses, with an accumulative grade point average (AGPA) not less than C, otherwise, students should take, during the following semester(s), clinical subjects as suggested by the academic advisor to fulfill this graduation requirement.
2. Completing successfully the required clinical cases during the clinical phase in addition to the mandatory two months internal clinical training during summer.
3. Submitting & defending a research project before an academic committee of the College.
Deze school biedt programma's in:
Laatst bijgewerkt op June 8, 2018